A resource is a particular action for a given service (typically an individual endpoint or query). Read more about resources in Getting Started with APM. For each resource, APM automatically generates a dashboard page covering:
- Key health metrics
- Monitor status for all monitors associated with this service
- List and metrics for all resources associated with this service
Datadog provides out-of-the-box graphs for any given resource:
Requests - Choose to display:
- The Total amount of requests
- The amount of Requests per second
Latency - Choose to display:
- The Avg/p75/p90/p95/p99/Max latency of your traced requests
Error - Choose to display:
- The Total amount of errors
- The amount of Errors per second
- The % Error Rate
Sub-Services: When there are multiple services involved, a fourth graph is available that breaks down your Total time spent/%of time spent/Avg time per request of your service by services or type.
This represents the total/relative/average time spent by traces from the current service to the other services or type.
Note: For services like Postgres or Redis, which are “final” operations that do not call other services, there is no sub-services graph.
Export to dashboard
On the upper-right corner of each graph, click on the up arrow in order to export your graph into a pre-existing Dashboard.
The resource page also displays a resource latency distribution graph:
Use the top right percentile selectors to zoom into a given percentile, or hover over the sidebar to view percentile markers.
You can also view a map of all of a resource’s upstream and downstream service dependencies. With the Dependency Map, you can quickly see the flow of services with spans that go through the specific resource (such as endpoints or database queries) end-to-end.
Hover over a node to view metrics of each service including requests/second, error rate, and average latency.
The highlight color of the node indicates the service’s monitor status. If a service has more than one configured monitor, the status of the most severe monitor is shown.
Click on a node to open a context menu with options to view the Service Page, related traces, and more.
For a given resource, Datadog provides you a span analysis breakdown of all matching traces:
The displayed metrics represent, per span:
- Average number of occurrences of the span, for traces including the current resource, where the span is present at least once.
% of Traces
- Percentage of traces including the current resource where the span is present at least once.
- Average duration of the span, for traces including the current resource, where the span is present at least once.
Avg % Exec Time
- Average ratio of execution time for which the span was active, for traces including the current resource, where the span is present at least once.
Note: A span is considered active when it’s not waiting for a child span to complete. The active spans at a given time, for a given trace, are all the leaf spans (in other words, spans without children).
Consult the list of traces associated with this resource in the Trace search modal already filtered on your environment, service, operation, and resource name:
Additional helpful documentation, links, and articles: