Set up Tracing on GitHub Actions Workflows
The selected Datadog site () is not supported.
The GitHub Actions integration is in beta. There are no billing implications for activating the GitHub Actions integration during this period.
Supported GitHub versions:
GitHub Enterprise is not supported.
Configuring the Datadog integration
Configuring a GitHub App
The GitHub Actions integration uses a private GitHub App to collect workflow information. If you already have an app, you can
skip to the next section.
- Go to the GitHub Apps Integration tile.
- Click Link GitHub Account.
- Follow the instructions to configure the integration for a personal or organization account.
- In Edit Permissions, grant
Actions: Read access.
- Click Create App in GitHub to finish the app creation process GitHub.
- Give the app a name, for example,
Datadog CI Visibility.
- Click Install GitHub App and follow the instructions on GitHub.
Configure tracing for GitHub Actions
After the GitHub App is created and installed, enable CI Visibility on the accounts and/or repositories you want visibility into.
- Go to the Getting Started page and click on GitHub.
- Click on Enable Account for the account you want to enable.
- Enable CI Visibility for the whole account by clicking Enable CI Visibility.
- Alternatively, you can enable individual repositories by scrolling through the repository list and clicking the Enable CI Visibility toggle.
Pipelines appear immediately after enabling CI Visibility for any account or repository.
Enable log collection
The GitHub Actions CI Visibility integration also allows automatically forwarding workflow job logs to the Logs Product.
To enable logs, follow these steps:
- Go to the CI Visibility settings page.
- Click on any account that is enabled or has enabled repositories.
- Click Enable Job Logs Collection to enable logs for the whole account.
- Alternatively, you can enable individual repositories by scrolling through the repository list and clicking the Enable Job Logs Collection toggle.
Immediately after toggling logs collection, workflow job logs are forwarded to Datadog Logs. Note that logs are billed separately from CI Visibility. Log retention, exclusion, and indexes are configured in Logs Settings.
Visualize pipeline data in Datadog
The Pipelines and Pipeline Executions pages populate with data after the pipelines finish.
Note: The Pipelines page shows data for only the default branch of each repository.
Disabling GitHub Actions tracing
To disable the CI Visibility GitHub Actions integration, make sure the GitHub app is no longer subscribed to the
workflow job and workflow run events. To remove the events:
- Go to the GitHub Apps page.
- Click Edit > Permission & events on the relevant Datadog GitHub App (if you have multiple apps, you will have to repeat the process for each).
- Scroll to the Subscribe to events section, and make sure that Workflow job and Workflow run are not selected.
Additional helpful documentation, links, and articles: