Cluster Agent for Kubernetes
The Datadog Cluster Agent provides a streamlined, centralized approach to collecting cluster level monitoring data. By acting as a proxy between the API server and node-based Agents, the Cluster Agent helps to alleviate server load. It also relays cluster level metadata to node-based Agents, allowing them to enrich the metadata of locally collected metrics.
Using the Datadog Cluster Agent allows you to:
- Alleviate the impact of Agents on your infrastructure.
- Isolate node-based Agents to their respective nodes, reducing RBAC rules to solely read metrics and metadata from the kubelet.
- Provide cluster level metadata that can only be found in the API server to the Node Agents, in order for them to enrich the metadata of the locally collected metrics.
- Enable the collection of cluster level data, such as the monitoring of services or SPOF and events.
- Leverage horizontal pod autoscaling with custom Kubernetes metrics. Refer to the dedicated guide for more details about this feature.
Note: To leverage all features from the Datadog Cluster Agent, you must run Kubernetes v1.10+.
This section includes the following topics:
Additional helpful documentation, links, and articles: