Enhanced Lambda Metrics
Datadog generates enhanced Lambda metrics from your Lambda runtime out-of-the-box with low latency, several second granularity, and detailed metadata for cold starts and custom tags.
Enhanced Lambda metrics give you a view above and beyond the default Lambda metrics enabled with the AWS Lambda integration. These metrics are distinguished by being in the
aws.lambda.enhanced.* namespace, and are Datadog’s best practice for setting real-time monitors on your serverless application health.
Real-time enhanced Lambda metrics
The following real-time enhanced Lambda metrics are available, and they are tagged with the
runtime. These metrics are distributions, and you can query them using the
- Measures the number of times a function is invoked in response to an event or an invocation of an API call.
- Measures the number of invocations that failed due to errors in the function.
- Measures the maximum amount of memory (mb) used by the function.
- Measures the elapsed seconds from when the function code starts executing as a result of an invocation to when it stops executing.
- Measures the billed amount of time the function ran for (100ms increments).
- Measures the initialization time (second) of a function during a cold start.
- Measures the elapsed millisecond from when the function code starts executing to when it returns the response back to the client, excluding the post-runtime duration added by Lambda extension executions.
- Measures the total estimated cost of the function invocation (US dollars).
- Measures the number of times a function times out.
- Measures the number of times a function runs out of memory.
Enable enhanced Lambda metrics
Follow the installation instructions to set up instrumentation of your serverless applications. Enhanced Lambda metrics are enabled by default.
Viewing your dashboard
Once you’ve enabled Enhanced Lambda Metrics, view your default dashboard in the Datadog app.