Real User Monitoring Monitor
Once Real User Monitoring is enabled for your organization, you can create a RUM monitor to alert you when a specific RUM event type exceeds a predefined threshold over a given period of time.
Create a RUM monitor
To create a Real User Monitoring monitor in Datadog, first navigate to Monitors > New Monitor > Real User Monitoring.
: There is a default limit of 1,000 RUM monitors per account. Contact Support
to lift this limit for your account.
Define the search query
As you expand your search filters, the graph above the search bar updates.
Construct a search query using the same logic as a RUM Explorer search.
Choose to monitor over a RUM event count, facet, or measure.
- Monitor over a RUM event count: Use the search bar (optional) and do not select a facet or measure. Datadog evaluates the number of RUM events over a selected time frame, then compares it to the threshold conditions.
- Monitor over a facet: If you select a facet, the monitor alerts over the
Unique value count of the facet.
- Monitor over measure: If you select a measure, the monitor alerts over the numerical value of the RUM facet (similar to a metric monitor). Select an aggregation type (
Group RUM events by multiple dimensions (optional). All RUM events matching the query are aggregated into groups based on the value of up to four facets.
Configure the alerting grouping strategy (optional).
- Simple-Alert: Simple alerts aggregate over all reporting sources. You receive one alert when the aggregated value meets the set conditions. If the query has a
group by and you select Simple-Alert, you get one alert when one or multiple groups values breach the threshold. You may use this strategy to reduce notification noise.
- Multi-Alert: Multiple alerts apply the alert to each source according to your group parameters. An alerting event is generated for each group that meets the set conditions. For example, you can group a query by
@browser.name to receive a separate alert for each browser when the number of errors is high.
Add multiple queries and apply formulas and functions (optional):
- Multiple queries: Click Add Query to analyze multiple different sets of RUM data in relation to each other.
- Formulas and functions: After adding your desired queries, click Add Formula to add a mathematical computation. The example below calculates the error rate on a cart page using the formula
Set alert conditions
An alert is triggered whenever a metric crosses a threshold.
- Triggers when the metric is
above or equal to,
below or equal to.
- The threshold during the last
1 hour, or
custom to set a value between 5 minutes and 48 hours.
- Alert threshold
- Warning threshold
No data and below alerts
To receive a notification when an application has stopped sending RUM events, set the condition to
below 1. This notifies when no RUM events match the monitor query in a given time frame across all aggregate groups.
When splitting the monitor by any dimension (tag or facet) and using a
below condition, the alert is triggered if and only if there are RUM events for a given group, and the count is below the threshold—or if there are no RUM events for all of the groups.
For example, this monitor triggers if and only if there are no RUM events for all applications:
And this monitor triggers if there are no logs for the application
Advanced alert conditions
For more information about advanced alert options such as evaluation delay, see Configure Monitors.
For more information about the Say what’s happening and Notify your team sections, see Notifications.
Additional helpful documentation, links, and articles: